New Study Confirms CpaX™ Connected Medication Adherence Packaging Makes Positive Impacts for Older Adults With Chronic Conditions
CpaX™ smart blister packs are easy-to-use, helpful tools for in-home medication management that provide relief for patients and loved ones
Taking multiple medications on a regular basis is a challenge for older adults struggling with chronic conditions. Physical limitations, cognitive decline and difficult symptoms are just a few factors leading these older adults to move away from their treatment plans.
At the same time, taking medications as prescribed has been linked to improved health outcomes and quality of life, while reducing healthcare system costs.
There are many solutions available to help those managing complex medication schedules. In recent years “smart” medication adherence products, including Jones Healthcare Group’s CpaX™ Connected Packaging, have evolved to help people improve their medication adherence — and sustain it.
Connected adherence packaging takes the standard blister package to the next level. Using transmitting printed electronics, this smart packaging can detect whether patients have removed medications, send reminders and notifications to patients and caregivers, and store adherence data for care teams to review in real time.
As with any new solution, we continue to learn just how smart packaging fits into routines for older adults living with chronic conditions at home. What works? What doesn’t? And most importantly, what impacts could smart adherence packaging have on health and well-being?
That’s why the University of Waterloo launched a study using a prototype version of our CpaX™ connected adherence packaging. The study, published in PLOS ONE, aimed to:
- Examine the integration of our smart multi-dose blister package into the medication-taking routines of older adults at home.
- Understand medication intake behaviours of adults with chronic diseases, which usually involve multiple medications taken over a long period of time.
How do CpaX smart blister packs fit into at-home life for older adults with chronic conditions?
Researchers found multiple factors that helped older adults integrate CpaX™ into their routines at home:
- CpaX was easy to adopt and use – participants in the study, who reported 5 medical conditions requiring 11 different medications on average, felt CpaX connected adherence packaging was easy to use and very easy to learn how to use. After initial instruction, participants did not require any ongoing support with the product.
- CpaX made older adults more aware and alert – participants said using a smart blister package changed their behaviour. They became more aware of taking their medications on time. Some mentioned the reminder function kept them alert.
- CpaX provided a sense of relief for loved ones and strengthened relationships – participants reported their spouses or children felt less worried about them as the smart blister package helped manage their medications in a safe and organized manner. They also mentioned using the device promoted a positive interaction with their pharmacist.
- CpaX made older adults feel safe – participants reported emotional responses such as a sense of relief, feeling of safety and less worry.
The researchers also identified factors that could improve an older adult’s experience with smart adherence packaging when it comes to product design and consistency, technology access, cost coverage, and initial short-term frustrations while learning how to use the product. All of these factors are important considerations as smart packaging continues to evolve.
Overall, these findings support existing literature and further document how to best build smart adherence technologies into the everyday lives of older adults with chronic conditions.
As demand for our CpaX solution continues to grow, we expect to have more to share on how CpaX connected adherence packaging and an integrated care team approach can improve health outcomes. In the meantime, we welcome you to get in touch with us below for more information.